1) The first defects usually appear on the asphalt surface in two to three years. Start repairing as soon as the fault occurs. Don't wait „until there's more to make it worthwhile.“ It is never worth it.
2) Thoroughly clean the fault before repairing it. Remove dust, salt, cracked edges.
3) Heat the edge of the fault to 145 ° C to a depth of the entire layer (40 - 80 mm). The asphalt binder softens and after the addition of new warm asphalt mixture the fault bonds and is permanently watertight. Do not use gas burners or infrared heaters for heating. With these heaters, you only achieve complete combustion of the asphalt binder. Burnt asphalt binder will not keep the aggregate in place and the fault returns quickly.
4) If you cannot heat the asphalt layer, you must at least penetrate it with a sufficient amount of asphalt binder. After adding new warm asphalt mixture, there is a chance it will completely form a waterproof joint, but it will extend the life of the repair.
5) Add warm asphalt mixture at 145 ° C to the heated or penetrated fault. Use a mixture of the same composition as the surrounding asphalt layer. When using a mixture with a smaller aggregate grain size, the repair will not have the same load capacity as the original layer and there is once again a risk of road failure. This can also change the anti-slip properties of the surface and increase the risks of accidents.
6) Compact the added hot asphalt mixture well. When you have the broken layer and the new mixture preheated to 145 ° C, you're done. You can look forward to several years smooth operation.
7) If you have put warm asphalt mixture on a cold road, a joint must be cut with a circular saw at the point of the original and new road and then filled with asphalt grout. Without this operation, water ingress into the joint is certain and the fault is quickly restored. Check the condition of the asphalt grout regularly. If it breaks, remove it, clean the joint, penetrate and pour it again.
Microwaves are electromagnetic waves with a wavelength from 1 mm to 1 m. We use microwave emitters with a wavelength of about 10 cm. The microwave is absorbed in the entire thickness of the asphalt layer and it is heated evenly. In this way we don't have to rely on heat conduction through the asphalt, which is very slow.
The technology uses compressed air. To drive the demolition hammer (if necessary) and to blow dust and debris away from the fault.
The asphalt surface is heated by a microwave applicator of its own design. We buy the asphalt mixture from a certified packaging plant and heat it in the microwave oven on the repair site.
Finally, the warm asphalt mixture is aligned with the surrounding surface by compaction, whereby the new asphalt mixture naturally blends with the original road surface. This will permanently close the fault without creating a joint.